Click the thumbnail photos to enhance!
- by the colour of the lateral papillae,
- by the number and by the colour of the pairs of long anterior papillae which are directed anteriorly,
- by the number and by the colour of the pairs of long posterior papillae,
- by the colour of the gills, and
- by the colour of the middorsal crest.
Maybe I should label this species Okenia cf. liklik!
in Okenia liklik are:
- the lateral papillae pinkish purple with a subapical orange band and usually a brown tip,
- the 2 pairs of most anterior papillae very long, anteriorly directed, located in front of the rhinophores, and orange with brown apices,
- the pair of most posterior papillae is very long, translucent purplish-pink,
- the gills opaque white,
- the rounded crest in the dorsal midline pinkish is purple-red,
in this specimen are:
- the lateral papillae whitish-cream,
- the gills translucent purplish pink with orange apices,
- the rounded crest in the dorsal midline is opaque white.
Okenia liklik was described by Gosliner at the base of 3 specimens, 2 from Papua New Guinea, and 1 specimen from Luzon Island in the Philippines. Its name refers to the small size of this species. "liklik is Papuan Pidgin for the word "small," Gosliner writes:"The living animals are small, 3 - 4 mm in length."
I think this specimen is a variant of Okenia liklik, because of the distictive broad band of alternating opaque white and brown patches down the dorsal midline, and because of the translucent purplish-pink colour.
There is a picture taken by Brian Mayes of a very similar specimen from Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia as Opisthobranch of the Week 26 October 2009 at Michael D. Miller's Slug Site. Let me quote David W. Behrens:" Brian's specimen here suggests greater variation in color patterns than that described by Gosliner (2004)."
Gosliner, T. M. (2004) Phylogenetic Systematics of Okenia, Sakishimaia, Hopkinsiella and Hopkinsia (Nudibranchia: Goniodorididae) with descriptions of new species from the tropical Indo-Pacific. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 55: 125-161.
The original description is online at PCAS Volume 55.
More information on Okenia liklik are on Bill Rudman's Sea-Slug Forum!
How to cite:
Köhler, E. (2016), published 28 May 2016, Okenia liklik Gosliner, 2004
available from http://www.Philippine-Sea-Slugs.com/Nudibranchia/Euctenidiacea/Okenia_liklik.htm